Mohamed Ayoubi – without justice one year after his death

PUSL.- Mohamed Ayoubi, a political prisoner of Gdeim Izik on parole, died on the 22nd of February 2018 in El Aaiun, the first mortal victim of this group of Saharawi national heroes, unjustly condemned by the occupying regime to 20 years toile in prison. Morocco is responsible for this death one more in a long history of assassinations, torture, forced disappearances, bombing, the slow genocide of the Saharawi people will only end on the day that Morocco leaves the occupied territories and the international community assumes its responsibility.

Ayoubi who was detained by the Moroccan occupation authorities during the dismantling of Gdeim Izik on 8 November 2010, a victim of rape and physical and psychological torture for several days at both the headquarters of the Gendarmerie and the police station in El Aaiun, Western Sahara, was transferred with several detainees from the Gdeim Izik group on 11 November 2010 to Salé Rabat in the Kingdom of Morocco.

Due to the torture he suffered, he had to stay in a wheelchair during his time of detention in Salé 2 until 12 January 2011 when he was transferred to the Souissi Rabat hospital where he was hospitalized until 28 February 2011.

On returning to prison he could walk but due to torture and his condition of diabetic and kidney problems continued with serious health problems and without the necessary medical care.

On 31 October 2011, all prisoners of Gdeim Izik started a hunger strike that lasted more than a month. On 2 December 2011 the Moroccan Human Rights Council negotiated with the strikers the release of Mohamed Ayoubi who was one of the main demands due to his extremely serious health condition.

While on probation, Ayoubi had to stand trial in the military court for the trial of the Gdeim Izik Group in February 2013 where he was sentenced to 20 years in prison but remained on probation.

Mohamed Ayoubi’s health condition forced him to start hemodialysis and in December 2016 he was again in court with the Gdeim Izik group after the decision of the Moroccan Supreme Court that sent the case to the Sale court of appeal, military court had no jurisdiction to try civilians and according to the Supreme Court, insufficient evidence had been provided to prove the allegations.

Ayoubi did not attend most of the trial sessions, which dragged on for 7 months since he had two weekly hemodialysis sessions, the case was separated from the rest of the group in June 2017 and only on 20 December 2017, a year after the trial began, Ayoubi was again sentenced to 20 years in prison on probation.

In January 2018 tsome of his fingers were amputated, the health situation increasingly worsened until he died in the hospital of El Aaiún without having received justice.

Ayúdanos a difundir >>>