PUSL.- Hmad Hamad (Saharawi activist and vice-president of CODAPSO -Committee for the Defense of the Right to Self-determination of the People of Western Sahara
The United Nations, namely MINURSO (United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara) has been in Western Sahara since 1991, the year of the signing of the cease-fire between the Polisario Front and Morocco. The cease-fire was based on a referendum that allowed our people to freely choose their destiny and achieve self-determination. After 28 years, we continue without a referendum and now under almost 44 years of occupation by Morocco.
MINURSO and the Security Council were not able to comply with what was determined at the United Nations and spent decades postponing the implementation of resolutions that would lead to the end of a 4-decade occupation.
PUSL.- At today’s meeting of the Security Council (SC) on Western Sahara, the extension of the mandate of MINURSO (United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara) was adopted with 13 votes in favour and two abstentions (Russian Federation and South Africa) for six months.
All members of the SC support the efforts of the UN Secretary-General’s personal envoy, Mr. Horst Koehler, and the performance of MINURSO and Colin Stewart.
The approved text was written by the United States, which was disappointed with the two abstentions and emphasized the need to accelerate the process to reach a mutually acceptable and realistic solution that results in the self-determination of the Saharawi people.
France, Morocco’s historical ally said that a realistic political process is needed and that Morocco’s proposed autonomy plan is a credible solution. They voted in favour, but they prefer a one-year rather than six-month mandate, arguing that they are more stable mandates. Read more
Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO)
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today announced the appointment of Major General Zia Ur Rehman of Pakistan as Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO).
Major General Ur Rehman succeeds Major General Xiaojun Wang of China, whose tour of duty ended on 17 February 2019. The Secretary-General is grateful to Major General Wang for his exemplary service and contribution to the work of MINURSO. Read more
WASHINGTON, (elperiodicodemexico.com) – The National Security Adviser of the White House, John Bolton, expressed Thursday his “frustration” for the lack of progress in resolving the political dispute over Western Sahara and asked “how can it be justified” that the United Nations peacekeeping mission (MINURSO) continues to be extended.
Bolton has outlined the strategy of the Donald Trump Administration for Africa and has used the example of MINURSO, whose initial mandate he himself contributed to draft in 1991, to demand a change of approach in relation to international peace missions.
Trump’s advisor has acknowledged his “frustration” for the lack of progress in resolving the dispute over Western Sahara. “I would like to see this resolved if the parties can agree on a way out. That is my preference, “he told reporters at a Washington think tank, according to Reuters. Read more
eldiario.es.- The UN extended its peace mission in Western Sahara (Minurso) for six months, instead of the traditional twelve, in order to continue pressing the parties to negotiate a solution to the conflict.
With twelve votes in favor and three abstentions, the United Nations Security Council gave its approval to a proposal by the United States, which was discussed until the last moment, given that countries like France preferred a one-year term.
At the US request, the Minurso had already been renewed last April for only six months in order to put pressure on Morocco and the Polisario Front to sit at the negotiating table after years of blockade.
For Washington, that approach has been successful and has facilitated that the two parties have agreed to meet next December in Geneva at a meeting organized by the UN mediator, Horst Köhler. Read more
PUSL.- The Polisario Front sent a letter to the President of the United Nations Security Council (CS) with his comments on the report of António Guterres, UN Secretary-General (see here) presented to CS members on 3 October.
The report sent to the SC by the Secretary-General (SG) is intended for discussion prior to the meeting at the end of the month in which the extension of the mandate of MINURSO (United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara) will be decided. In the letter, the Polisario Front reaffirms its readiness to resume negotiations in accordance with United Nations resolutions but points out some concerns regarding the points of the Secretary-General’s report regarding the credibility of impartiality and independence of MINURSO and of the UN itself.
The Polisario Front explains in the letter that it is necessary to analyze the underlying causes of the Guergarat crisis that have implications for the existing military agreements and the political process.
They also highlight the concern about illegal attempts to “normalize the situation” of the Moroccan military occupation of the occupied territories of Western Sahara. They also address the issue of meetings with the MINURSO Head in any place within the Mission’s defined area of action.
As PUSL has published, there is a concern on the part of Horst Koehler, SG Personal Envoy for Western Sahara, with the “development” and “investments” of the Occupied Territories which is disconcerting in the face of the real situation in this non-autonomous territory and the serious violations of human rights. Read more
PUSL.- The UN Secretary-General today asked the Security Council to extend for a year the mandate of MINURSO (United Nations Mission for the Referendum of Western Sahara) to support the reinitiation of the political negotiations scheduled for December between Morocco and the Polisario Front.
“I recommend that the Council extends the mandate for a year, until 31 October 2019, to give my emissary the space and time necessary to create the conditions for the political process to advance,” wrote Guterres in a document obtained by French news agency AFP.
“I urge the parties and the neighbors to come to the negotiating table in good faith and without preconditions,” on December 5 and 6 in Switzerland. Read more
PUSL.- On 18 September, two young Sahrawi with higher degree, Said Abba Sheikh and Mohammed Ahmed Taleb Ahmad entered the area of MINURSO (United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara) where they intended to deliver a letter addressed to António Guterres, UN Secretary-General , having previously sent a copy by e-mail.
In statements to PUSL Said Abba Sheikh reported what happened.
Since the beginning of 2018 a group of young Saharawi graduates from Smara have been carrying out various protest actions demanding their economic rights.
“The reality that we live in Smara is not what is advertised by the Moroccan occupation government, which says that it is all wonderful. We live in an occupied territory and as Sahrawi we do not have access to employment , so we decided to start a series of protests ”
One of the actions was a “sit in” in front of a building of the Smara Town hall for 38 days demanding their economic and social rights. Read more
PUSL.- Below is the letter sent this morning by two young Sahrawi students who were able to enter MINURSO’s headquarters in Smara, Occupied Territories of Western Sahara despite multiple check points.
Said Abba Sheikh and Mohammed Ahmed Taleb Ahmad were aware that MINURSO would most likely hand them out to the occupation authorities, as they have done over the years with a number of Saharawis who have sought out and asked for their physical safety inside the MINURSO mission.
In fact, shortly after entering the MINURSO area, the officials of the “peace” mission delivered the two young men to the Moroccan army that transported them to the Gendarmarie Royal headquarters.
In the letter that they had sent before this protest action to the SG, António Gueterres they were very clear, the claims presented are those of the Saharawi people – the right to self-determination, the end of violence against the population and respect for the most basic human rights.
The two young people are willing to risk their lives to send this simple message to the Secretary General, will anyone listen to them? Read more
PUSL.- Two young Saharawis succeeded this morning in passing security checkpoints and entering MINURSO headquarters in the occupied city of Smara, Western Sahara.
The two university students Said Abakhaikh and Mohamed Ahmed Taleb had sent a letter to the Secretary-General of the United Nations on the serious situation in Western Sahara under illegal occupation by Morocco.
The young people intend to hold a peaceful protest within MINURSO, a UN peace mission to the territory, which does not fulfill its mandate nor does it protect the Saharawi population.
Several activists are concerned that MINURSO will hand the two young people over to the Moroccan authorities as was the case of a group of young people in El Aaiun a few years ago who were tortured by the Moroccan authorities in front of the headquarters of this mission. Read more
PRESS RELEASE – MINURSO Coordinator Mhamed Khadad Frente POLISARIO
[NEW YORK – 27 April, 2018]
Today the UN Security Council voted to extend the mandate of the UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) for a period of six months.
The Frente POLISARIO takes note of this development and in particular the short renewal period which reflects the need for an urgent resumption of the UN political process. The POLISARIO reiterates its commitment to enter into a time-bound process of direct negotiations with Morocco to finally allow for the exercise by our People of our inalienable right to self-determination and independence in accordance with the United Nations doctrine on Decolonization.
The Frente Polisario notes that through this resolution, the Security Council is insisting on the resumption of the negotiations without any precondition and in good faith. It is a clear and strong message to Morocco which has always subjected any engagement in the negotiations to preconditions, and has always put obstacles to alter any progress toward a political solution that guarantees our right to self-determination, as it was underlined three times in the current resolution. Read more